Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Baby Boomers Taking Baby Steps to Better Health


We can make a difference in our overall health and fitness by making small changes. So today I challenge you to take one Baby Step: Check the ingredient list on any goods you purchase or consume.  If it says hydrogenated vegetable oil or partically hydrogenated vegetable oil.  DO NOT PURCHASE IT, DO NOT EAT IT!


About Eighty percent of the trans fats consumed in the American diet comes from the artificial source, hydrogenated vegetable oils.  Trans Fats pose a great risk to our health. They lead to diabetes, cancer, heart disease and obesity.  A dramatic increase in the use of hydrogenated vegetable oils began in the 1990’s. Trans fat is found in shortenings (Crisco), margarine, snacks such as crackers, candies, and cookies, fried foods, pastries, boxed popcorn, peanut butter, coffee creamers, flavored coffee drinks, just to name a few. Read the label you will be surprised.


In 2003 Denmark banned the use of hydrogenated vegetable oil and in 2008 California was the first state to ban the use of hydrogenated oils in restaurant chains.

 The nutrition label may state no trans fats but be sure to read the actual ingredient list. Somehow they can get away with stating no trans fat, when the product does indeed include hydrogenated oils.

So take this one Baby Step challenge and read ingredient labels and commit to not consuming any product with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
Your body thanks you.


Credits:
Food Facts.com
Fellowshipominds
LiveStrong.com

6 comments:

  1. I will take this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! And I will take your challenge because I'd like to keep my current good health in order to keep up with my 5 grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I LOVE peanut butter. Is all peanut butter bad? Thanks for hopping on board my blog. I have done the same for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. No, not all peanut butter, but most do. Just check to be sure. Have you ever tried almond butter? I like that and I also like Laura's peanut butter.

      Delete
  5. Hello! thanks for stopping by my blog. It's good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete