Monday, October 8, 2012

Making Almond Meal / Flour

I'm using Almond Meal in quite a few of my meals lately, so I wanted to try my hand at making my own.
Here's how I did it.





Step 1, pour 2 cups whole raw almonds into a food processor

Step 2, pulse for 30 seconds, rest, repeat 2 more times

Step 3, pour into a strainer to seperate the flour from the almond chips

Step 4, place the almond chips back into the food processor and repeat steps 1-3 until  there are just a few almond chips left. Discard the almond chips.

Makes  2 cups almond meal / flour ( less about 2 T )


          ****************************************************************************

Now Lets Do The Math:

I paid $13.68 for a 32 oz bag of whole raw almonds
I paid $21.88 for 32 oz of ready made almond meal / flour

If I choose to buy whole almonds and make my own, I save $8.20

This is not a huge savings, but I had fun making it and I'm sure I'll do it again.

*************************************************************************

Almond flour has a low glycemic index, ( does not spite your insulin levels)
Almond flour is Gluten Free
Almond flour is Low Carb
Warning:; Because it is made completely from whole almonds, the calorie count is higher then other flours.

3 comments:

  1. I wondered about the almond flour you mentioned in the muffin recipe. It makes sense to make your own, and know what's really in the food you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a great post and recipe. i use almond milk that i make myself...duh- didn't think about using it as a flour too! guess my baby-booming-brain needed you to inspire me. I would use the almond chips, saving the, up of course, in making some almond milk.... okay my dear, now you got me going and have me thinking about putting my milk recipe on my blog. I plan to use your muffin recipe this next weekend- yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've never tried making almond milk so I'll be waiting for your post. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the comments.

      Delete