Monday, November 5, 2012


Baby Boomers Taking Baby Steps To Better Health


When was the last time you jumped rope? Third grade maybe. Remember how much fun it was. Maybe you jumped with 3 or 4 of your friend and sang rhymes like:





Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Touch the ground.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Turn around.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Show your shoe.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, That will do.

Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Run upstairs.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Say your prayers.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Blow out the light.
Teddy bear, Teddy bear, Say good night.

I remember having a great time and not once thinking I was exercising or that this was 'good for me' and I doubt if I even got tired. Well fast forward about 50 years and my how things have changed. I decided to pick up a jump robe recently and discovered that
It was way harder then I remembered
I got really tired

Instead of getting discouraged and putting the rope in a drawer I decided to jump a little bit every day or so.

I'm happy to report that I can now jump 100 times without stopping! To some this may not seem like a big deal, but to me it is. I plan on continuing but I know I'll need to work on keeping it interesting. Maybe I'll start reciting Teddy Bear Teddy Bear. . .

So my challenge this week for Baby Boomers Taking Baby Steps to Better Health is:

         Pick up a jump rope and give it a try. Start off slow with a goal of jumping 10 -20 times without stopping then work up from there.

 Give it a try, your body will thank you!

So one would think that I'd be embarrasses to put up a video of me jump roping 100 times, but what the heck...


6 comments:

  1. Very impressive! I think I'll give it a try since I'm trying to get in shape and lose some weight also! And I DID jump rope as a kid...Thanks for taking me down memory lane and giving me this new idea. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, hope you give it a try, let me know how it goes. Sharon

      Delete
  2. bravo!!!!! have you tried a "hula hoop" lately? remember those? it was very humbling to say the least- if you do try one and haven't in a long time....remember to buy a big one, the larger the easier and slower you need to hulla ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about that old hula hoop. Yes I may just give it whirl. Somehow I feel like I'd need to be listening to Chubby Checker's 'Twist'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did start doing some skipping..I can't do much yet though...the first time...I woke up the next day feeling like I'd been hit by a bus...my ribs...yikes! Anyway..now that it's rainy season I have no where to skip...so I will have to stick to the other things I'm doing till Spring...but I WILL skip again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's what you can expect if you keep it up for ten years.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/QFEguy

    I'm 65 and in the best shape of my life. I'm convinced anyone who can physically jump rope safely and likes music would have just as much fun and get the same or better results. You just have to get past the tedium of learning to jump, and as you said, a little practice every day is the key. Missing days kills your momentum and interferes with the sampling your brain is doing every time you jump - it's just timing, after all.

    I also have a video on hula-hoop, which is what I'd be doing if I couldn't jump.

    I have an eight year old grand-daughter and it makes me so happy that I can be fit and active enough to play with her rather than just sit and watch. I'm going to have her start teaching me Tae Kwan Do before long. She's the star of her class.

    ReplyDelete