Monday, February 18, 2013

FAT vs MUSCLE

Take a look at this photo, 5 pounds of fat and 5 pounds of muscle do indeed weigh the same, 5 pounds.  Two people of the same height and weight can be standing next to each other. The one wears a size 8 and the other wears a size 12. So how come? It's simple, although fat and muscle weight the exact same the fat takes up way more space and it is lumpy and requires the larger dress size. Notice the picture, see how tight and firm the muscles are, this gal wears the smaller size.


 Do you want a lean look of muscle or a flabby look of fat?





Maintaining good muscle mass has many many health and fitness benefits. but for today's post we're gonna stick with the obvious. Fat is big, lumpy and unhealthy for us. I'd like to challenge us all this week to do something about it. This weeks challenge is to do some form of resistance exercises for only 15 minutes a day.

An easy option is the use of a resistance band. These can be purchased fairly inexpensively, around $10.00. We can use them in the privacy of our homes, even when watching TV.



Give it a try, Your Body Will Thank You!




5 comments:

  1. I'll take the muscle. Good visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY like this post Sharon!! I try and do some kind of muscle strengthening exercise at least 3 or 4 times per week as well as my cardio stuff...I just got a "shaker weight" It looks so funny when you do it...but it is awesome for upper body strengthening and toning. I use the resistance bands too as well as some light weights...I sooo want to have more muscle then fat...getting there but a ways to go yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon! What a great visual! I'm trying to increase muscle and decrease fat. Today was my 256th day of walking in a row. I started the third morning after I retired. I also do weight training and swimming. But I ran myself so far into the ground that it has taken some time to get back into shape. I've only lost about eight pounds, but I am taking up less space, so those muscles are coming! I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am visiting from the 2 bags full grow your blog and you are just the inspiration that i need! I am your newest follower and will look forward to getting some new "go" on my weight loss and getting in to shape! Go Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I don't know if I want to build muscle yet, but it's a great idea. I should start soon, I know!

    ReplyDelete