Friday, January 10, 2014

The Dirty Dozen

THE 'DIRTY DOZEN'






The Environmental Working Group annually provides a list of the 'dirty dozen' foods that have a high concentration of pesticides and are recommended to be purchases organically.
First off let's think about what I just wrote. An organization that tells us that the amount of poisons have reached a level of potential danger so it's best not to consume them. What's wrong with this statement...? Anyway... We're of the generation that expects our produce to be 'perfect' no blemishes, no dark spots and definitely no browning, and available all year long. I understand that the latest genetically engineered apple will not brown when cut. Oh boy that should be a big seller. I don't know about you, but I'd love to find a good old apple with a half eaten worm. When's the last time you've seen a worm in an apple? Oh yes, that was BEFORE pesticides.


So here you have it, you may want to consider buying organic or thoroughly washing these fruits and vegetables before consuming.

Remember, we are what we eat!

7 comments:

  1. A test by a Canadian consumer watchdog found pesticide on 45% of all the foods labelled organic they tested. I think 4% was above government limits. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pesticide-levels-on-some-organic-produce-indicate-use-was-deliberate-1.2491167
    Even when we try to do the right thing the marketplace is against us.
    Fortunately we have our own apple trees-worms and all and they taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's disappointing but not surprising. We just need to use precautions and then enjoy. Lucky for you, you can grow your own apples.
      Thanks for leaving a comment, it's good to be back.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, I'm really messing up. Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered you're back, Sharon. Yeah! I've been inconsistent at blogging these past few months, so I missed your January posts. I think about The Dirty Dozen every time I'm in the produce area of my grocery store. I try to buy organic, and I always scrub, scrub, scrub. Give me the old-fashioned varieties of apples please! I grew up eating scabby, bruised, wormy apples, and they were awesome! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I try to buy organic too but I guess we still need to scrub scrub scrub.
      I love the name of your blog.
      Enjoy,
      Sharon

      Delete
  5. I admire your commitment to good health. We do fairly well, but there's always room for improvement. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the nice comment. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete