Monday, January 27, 2014

Weak Ankles?!

At work out the other day I mentioned to my daughter Laura,  CrossFit trainer, that I felt like my ankles were weak and I was a little nervous doing jump roping and jogging etc. She said well if your ankles are weak then weak ankles mean weak knees mean weak hips etc. so she gave me a couple of exercise/balancing movements for me to practice that would strengthen my ankles and also help with my balance.

I wanted to share one of them with you now. You don't need to go to the gym to practice this you can do it right at home in your street clothes. It would be best to have on some good tennis shoes.
(My ipad is not showing the videos, but my desktop is, so if you're not able to see the video, sorry I'll work on fixing this)

video video


With the weight on your right leg you lower your right arm to the ground at the same time that you are raising or lifting your left leg like a lever then you come back up again stand on both feet, then place your weight on your left leg and begin the process all over again, left arm goes down to the ground at the same time that your right leg goes into the air.

Once again I'm willing to embarrass myself in blog world and show a video of me demonstrating this. There are times when my balance is off quite a bit and I like to just have a wall or a chair close by for me to just hang onto, so feel free to do that.

Get a friend to video you today, then practice some each day and after 6 weeks video yourself again you'll be able to see improvements you made in just this short amount time.

Remember ' USE IT OR LOSE IT!
Give it a try, your body will thank you!

9 comments:

  1. I like the idea of that balancing exercise and the suggestion to have a wall or chair nearby sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya a wall or chair is helpful. Not sure if you can tell in the video but I am really concentrating.

      Delete
  2. Thanks...my husband and I can benefit from these videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I can do this or not, but I'm gonna try! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're willing to give it a try. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  4. At my age, balance is a big deal. I like this exercise and will try it. I find my balance isn't what it should be so maybe I have weak ankles, knees and hips too :)
    Thanks Sharon ...


    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes at our age...Can you see to difference between Laura and my video. She does it effortlessly and I'm focused and concentrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a balance ball some months ago...it got used for a while & then forgotten. I think I must pull it outr & start using it, as I have poor balance, weak ankles, arthritic knees and sciatica...and I'm only 54!

    ReplyDelete