Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



Who doesn't want a cookie now and again. Such was the case the other day for me so off to the store I went. Standing in front of the rows of packaged cookies I spent way too long trying to decipher the ingredient labels. Oh my, the list was always so long ( it takes up about 2 inches on the average package). I settled for what I thought was the lesser of the evils and walked away with Quaker Oats Chocolate Chip. It didn't take too long before the family had devoured the whole box. So after the sugar rush subsided, I took another look at those ingredients. They are disappointing. I could always make my own, you know those traditional cookies with all that sugar and flour, (both of which we need to eat less of) but who really has a couple hours to spend in the kitchen so all too often we end up at the pre packaged aisle.
So Google to the rescue. After a short search on the internet I found a recipe that met my expectations both in the ingredient department and in the taste department plus the time spent in the kitchen was minimal. Baking these cookies filled the home with that yummy sweet aroma that everyone loves.


Take a look at these ingredients and you decide, which is the better choice.

It's really a no brainer, clearly the bananas, apples and oatmeal are the clear winner. I spent about 20 minutes in the kitchen and everyone even my 2 year old grandson gave them a thumbs up.






Oatmeal has so many benifits, it helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressed. It's loaded with antioxidants and many people who can't eat gluten can eat oatmeal. Apples are loaded with vitamin C and fiber. Bananas are high in potassium, vitamin C, B-6 and fiber too. I chose a dark chocolate, not milk chocolate which is usually about 80% sugar. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and are thought to help prevent heart attachs, stokes, dementia and more.


I mean really, what's not to like about these cookies?

Give them a try, your body will thank you.

Let me know what your family thinks of these super easy, super good for you cookies.

Here's to your health and enjoyment,
Sharon

PS, did you notice that vintage potato masher in the photo. It must be about 60 years old. I love it, they don't make them like that anymore.






9 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady.
    I did copy your Quaker Oats Chocolate Chip cookies. This is my first time on your sweet blog. I will be back next week for more of your great recipes for us Baby Boomers. I am also your newest follower on your blog now. I hope you will come follow me also.
    God Bless.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane, thanks for visiting and becoming my newest follower! I just visited your blog and I have to say it is inspiring. In fact, I'm anxious now to spice up my table. I will be following you also and look forward to future inspirations.
    Best,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! I will use it. I've been in the grocery store too, looking at packages of cookies that I know taste like cardboard, are made of chemicals, and cost triple what I'd spend to make the same amount at home. Thanks for a push in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping over at my blog. I have put you into my Feedly account and put your button in my list of buttons. These sound yummy and I have been working hard at eating healthy real food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your recipe hands down!!!!!!!! i have three ripe bananas in the basket as I write, was thinking of some muffins tonite...but now you got me craving some...cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and so glad I did....I am also trying to get fit and I hope to get back here soon to read your recipes and blog post. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and following.
    Blogging Is fun.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound great! Will definitely make them! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, and I'm so glad I found you! You have fantastic ideas for me to stay healthier, and you are funny too! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sharon for visiting my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours and happy to find yours being so helpful since I really need to eat healhy. I am looking forward to learning more from you. I am going to try the excerise for balance and I do love oatmeal, I eat it for breakfast a lot and Oatmeal cookies are a favorite of mine. I am now going to add your blog to my list.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete