Wednesday, January 29, 2014

You Decide

If you're visiting from Grow Your Blog please click here



My Son is visiting. He's 31 so a little too old to have his Momma telling him what to eat, but....

" Paul, I'm heading to the store anything you'd like me to pick up for you?"

"Sure, I'd like some Johnny's Seasoning Salt I sprinkle it on my eggs."

You may have already guessed that I'm a bit of a label reader. Well OK I always read the food ingredients on everything I bring into the house and I prefer choosing items that are as close to their natural state as possible. Additives, preservatives, pesticides, sugar, anything I can't pronounce etc. I prefer to leave at the store. 

Well back to Paul.

So I head to my local grocery store and pick up a bottle of Johnny's Seasoning Salt.  To my horror the second ingredient is MSG. Yes, that would be Monosodium Glutamate. I bought it anyway and oh so sweetly suggested to Paul that he google MSG.

Later that day after doing some research and spending some time in the kitchen I made up my own version of Johnny's Seasoning. I hand him these two bottles and say, "look what I made up for you today. Which one are you gonna use tomorrow?"



Well he made his Mom proud when he tried my version and said it was just as good as the other, if not even better. You can be sure that I'll send him on his way with a good supply.

Here is the recipe

1T sea salt fine ground
1T sea salt course ground
1T paprika
1 heaping t ground pepper
1 heaping t garlic powder

9 comments:

  1. What a constructive way to make a point! I wish we had learned about reading labels years ago. When I think back to some of the processed 'stuff' I've eaten in the past, it makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this recipe. I have several small jars and I'll make this and give some as hostess gifts. Of course, I will keep some too.
    We just last weekend found a Chinese restaurant that does not use MSG. Their food was delicious and much better for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've gotten so accustomed to the convenience of store bought we forget how easy it is to make our own.
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good mom, and being a good example to your son! Good looking recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a clever mom! And thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool idea! I'll make it and give it to my mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely try this out. I am always looking for your own at home recipes and treatments. How to tighten skin was helpful in the after weight loss category!

    ReplyDelete