Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Who is 'The Fittest on Earth' ?

2014 Rebok / CrossFit Games to crown
'The Fittest on Earth'


If you're a CrossFitter then you know the answer to this. If not read on, you may be convinced to become one. After all I'm a Boomer and a CrossFitter too, but you won't find me on that floor competing. However there are many Boomers who competed in the CrossFit Masters and before I reveal the Fittest on Earth (I mean really, they are in their 20's) lets take a look at some of the Masters.









These ladies are competing in the 55-59 age group, they're not letting their Baby Boomer status stop them.  Some of these gals have only been CrossFitting for a couple years. 

Arn't they AWESOME!

Like I say you won't find me on this floor but I will be at my local box doing a scaled version of these same workouts. CrossFit focuses on functional movements that are constantly varied and done at high intensity. I CrossFit so that I will be able to get in and out of a chair, reach for an object in the upper cabinet, pick up my grandkids and run if necessary, all functional tasks and movements.

    Are you thinking that you're too old with weak knees, back, shoulders etc. well think again. Trainers work with individual needs and are careful to scale and adjust a particular skill to your level. With careful movement you will likely find with time your weaknesses are less and less and your mobility and range of motion has greatly improved. I think the biggest obstacle for most boomers, especially men, is remembering that they are not 25 anymore and that they need to leave their ego at the door so that they're able to work out at the level best for them now and not their sons level.

 Among other things CrossFit promotes family. I love that I can work out at the same time as my 30 year old sons, I'm running one lap, they're running 2, I'm using 35 pounds they use 200 pounds etc. and so it goes. We do the same scheduled workout, but to our particular ability level. At the end of the WOD, workout of the day, we're equally exhausted, ( but in a good way).

Back to the Fittest on Earth:
The competitors and the spectators come from all walks of life and all corners of the world. last weekend there where about 15,000 spectators at STUB HUB in Carson California to watch the competition.



Yes, I was there too with grandson Mason!


If you're a competitor at these games you have worked hard to earn this position. Elimination begins with the OPEN in January. Everyone, even me, well in the Masters anyway, has the opportunity to compete, infact, 209,585 individual registered for the open, ( I did not ha ha ). Then the top contenders are invited to compete in the Regionals in May. Then those top contenders are invited to compete in the Games, in July.

At the games, athletes spend about a week giving their all in a variety of physical activites that push them to perform at their very best. Swimming in the ocean, walking on your hands, climbing ropes, moving heavy object quickly are just a few of these challenges.

So... Drum Roll Please....Here are the 2014 Rebok-CrossFit Fittest on Earth!


Rich Froning
Fittest on Earth 4 years in a row! 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014!
He says this is his last year competing in the individual category.


First time winner is Camille Leblanc-Bazinet!

Congratulation to these winners and to all the CrossFit Athletes!


No comments:

Post a Comment