Monday, August 25, 2014

h e l p...please get me some REAL food

When did we make the switch, you know from actual food



 to what we eat now?



Did it start in the 50's, 60's 70's I'm not sure? It did sneak in gradually though and now it fills 85% of our pantries. Check it out for yourself. Randomly choose 3 or 4 items from your pantry and read the labels. Does anything simply contain real food, things like whole wheat, walnuts, honey,  raisins,  sea salt, tomatoes ( in a carton and not a BPA lined tin can), cinnamon etc.? You'll find things like:

  • palm kernel oil 
  • aspartame
  • natural flavors ( what does that mean if it's really natural then just list them)
  • natural color              ( " )
  • corn syrup
  • phosphate
  • emulsifiers eg soy lecithin
  • potassium chloride
  • carmel color
  • ferrous sulfate
  • sodium caseinate
  • mono and diglycerides
  • ascorbyl palmitate
  • tetrasodium pyophosphate
  • disodium phosphate
  • dextrose
  • maltodextrin
  • natural tocopherols
  • annatto powder
  • modified food starch
  • soy protein isolate
  • vegetable glycerin
  • partially hydrogenated soybean oil
  • and the list goes on and on and on

Now just because the FDA has approved all these as being safe for human consumption doesn't mean that there could be and are likely long term negative affects when we replace actual food with so many of these additives.  You may enjoy reading this article titled
 '9 Ways That Processed Foods Are Slowly Killing People' article

We consume a large daily dose of additives and chemicals. If you use Coffee-mate in your morning coffee here's what you're getting:

WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, COLOR ADDED, CARRAGEENAN. 

I just know in my gut that our bodies will be nourished to their fullest when we feed them the foods that were designed to nourish and sustain us.

My challenge to myself and to you ( if you dare...) is to greatly reduce, if not eliminate any form of processed foods. The list is long and will include 85% of the grocery store, things like max n cheese, soups, so called protein bars, most breakfast cereals, salad dressings, most canned and packages products, all fast foods. I hear that Subway is not as 'fresh' as they would like you to believe.

Every ingredient seems to be chalked full of synthetic chemicals, flavor enhancers, cancer-causing nitrites and nitrates, monosodium glutamate, sugar, and genetically modified ingredients.  (read about it HERE ) Maybe they have improved since this article came out, I sure hope so but I mainly want to point out that what you see is not always what you get and we all owe it to ourselves and our health to research what we're eating.  I do believe, We Are What We Eat!

If you're interested in joining this challenge, please leave a comment. In future posts I hope to feature some of my healthy alternatives.

Here's to your health,
Sharon






7 comments:

  1. It is weird how those "foods" have become such a big part of the American diet. And, you're right...most of the grocery store is filled with that junk. We started eliminating processed foods and things with weird ingredients years ago. Then, about a year and a half ago we had to eliminate everything with gluten and wheat because my daughter's body couldn't tolerate it anymore. She's doing much better and we eat better foods now but it sure is challenging to go grocery shopping. Eating out is challenging too. It's weird how some restaurant menus have so many brown/fried/breaded options and not much else. It's like learning all over again how to eat. It's the same way with baking. All of the traditional baked things we ate were based on the science of having gluten to make it bind together a certain way. Gluten free baking is a completely different science. So, we rarely eat baked things, pasta, etc. anymore. It has done wonders for my weight though. Taking out the excess of carbs made a difference. I also realized through all of this how often we used to eat "foods" that were just empty of nutrition....just air, carbs, salt, fats, etc. just to fill our stomachs or satisfy the munchies. We have to think about everything so much more now. That often means not having a snack....because we think it through and realize it's just munchies and we don't need it. Or, a small handful of almonds is all we need. It's all very interesting....and challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's encouraging to hear from someone that has been there and done that. Bravo! I agree eating out can be difficult. I just try to make the best choice and bring along what I can to enhance the meal. Lately I've been taking those Wholly Guacamole minis with me, works as a great dressing for salads or grilled fish. I hope to find some gluten free dessert recipes. If I come across something good I'll blog it.
    Best, Sharon

    August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad part is that it's expensive to eat right and healthy! I definitely need to work on cutting out processed foods, but it's hard with three hungry boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I hear you, it is difficult. Boys are ALWAYS ready to eat. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started cutting off processed foods a while ago. It can be difficult, and probably impossible to do it 100%, but once you get used to fresh produce you don't want to go back to the packages. I must add this became way easier since I moved back in Europe, where you have farmers markets with cheap fresh vegetables everywhere. It's still a challenge I face everyday, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't visited our local farmers market yet and I'm sure I'm missing out
    on great produce and good resources. I will be eating out tonight, at a
    restaurant, and that is a challenge too. It's so good to hear from others
    who are saying NO to processed foods. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think many of us have grown accustomed to the convenience. We recently went back to eating fresh foods, including produce from a neighbor's garden, and it feels (and tastes) so much better. I like this challenge.

    ReplyDelete