Thursday, November 13, 2014

Home made is always best!



Take a looks at these ingredients,



 pure olive oil ( lighter flavor!), organic free range eggs, sea salt, mustard, apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper.

When you put them all together you get the yummiest, creamiest mayonnaise!

I found the recipe here. mayo video One of the key points that allows the oil to emulsify is to pour the oil in drip by drip. If too much pours in then you're likely to have just a runny mess. I tried using a blender but I don't always have success. Switching to a food processor is working out much better. 

In order to control the oil flow I puncture a small hole in a plastic sandwich bag,
turn on the machine and then pour the oil in the bag. It provides a slow constant flow
and I get great mayo every time.































Most mayo on the market is made with soybean oil. Now I know that there is much
debate over soybeans but as I understand it, 90% of the soybeans grown today are with
genetically engineered seeds and they are sprayed with pesticides.
You can check out this internet article that references the good and the bad. here

Here is the ingredients for a store bought mayonnaise. 

Once again, here is the ingredients for a do it yourself mayonnaise.

Ingredients: olive oil, egg, sea salt, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper

One other tip to know is that your mayonnaise will stay fresh as long as your eggs do. I check the expiration date on a carton of eggs, then I use that date for my mayo.

2 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely trying this. My hubby has beat cancer 3 times. He has lucked out with each that they are in the beginning stages. He finally has quit smoking and I am looking into healthier diets.

    ReplyDelete