Monday, February 2, 2015

Just 1 more reason to say No to McDonald's

Back in the day, when I was living with my parents, french fries were a regular side dish at our house. Friday nights we ate hamburgers and fries, Saturdays we ate steak and fries. Only in those days we didn't hit the drive through. We actually took large russet potatoes, sliced them then lowered them into a pot of hot oil. Oh they were so so good and so simple. Two ingredients were used, just potatoes and oil.



That is not the case today if you're getting your fries at McDonald's. 
Do you know that they include 19 different ingredients into their world famous fries. 
Yes 19!



McDonald Fries....

Oh dear, where to start? First off, they use a blend of 4 oils, none of which are very healthy. Canola oil
(read about that one here), corn, soybean and hydrogenated soybean, ( most of which are genetically modified). Read about these here

Have you ever heard that saying 'if you can't pronounce it then it's probably not actually food' ?
Well here's a couple of doozies.
Polydimethylsilozane, yes that's one word and I hear it's also used in the making of silly putty. Then there's tertiary butylhydroquinone or TBHQ I understand that this is a petrol based chemical. One is used to prevent the oil from foaming and the other is a preservative.

Take a look at this McDonald's youtube explaining these 19 ingredients. I must admit, he does make them sound pretty non threatening but for me I'm gonna think twice before I hit the drive through.



In fact I think I'll go pick up a deep fryer and start making my own. 
At least I can have them around for the grand kids. They love to eat fries.

Will you think twice before grabbing this?
If so let me know. 
If you do, your body will thank you.



10 comments:

  1. NO fast food in my life anymore!! I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've had fast food in the last 3 years...and usually that was a bite or two of someone else's food. I am pretty determined at this point to not have it pass my lips...this info definitely helps cement that determination. Thanks for sharing Sharon.....xo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your determination and I'm really looking forward to reading the updates, hints and suggestions on your blog.

      Delete
  2. That's amazing that there are so many things in them and scary things too! Yikes! Luckily, I NEVER go to McDonalds. I have a feeling all their food is like that! In fact, I try to stay away from all fast food...as much as possible. When I do go, I try to stick to places like Chipotle. I "believe" their ingredients are better. I certainly hope they are. Although, I have heard rumor that they're owned by McDonalds. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I'm with you. I try to avoid the fast food chains as much as possible. You never know what you getting. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not even surprised anymore. I'm just happy I've cut fast food out of my life. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so good to hear. I'm hopeful that the number of folks not visiting fast foods is increasing, I'd especially like to see it with the young kids.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info! I don't like to eat at fast foods for this reason. Give me fresh home cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, I only wish I enjoyed fixing meals more. I'm one of those that looks in the pantry and my mind goes blank. I have no idea what to fix. After 40+ years of marriage I keep expecting that to change but so far...no change.
    Thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a neighbor college student who did research on macdonald's fries and shakes and the fries were still NOT moldy or otherwise altered after 30 days.
    The milkshake poured on an old car removed the paint when wiped off after sitting in the sun for 45 minutes. SO glad I never eat there and now that I know there are 19 ingredients no wonder they don't break down

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, now that's scary stuff. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete