Thursday, May 28, 2015

My latest 5 day vacation without gaining 5 pounds.

Vacations are GREAT! I just returned from one and the biggest battle I encountered was, how not to gain a bunch of weight while on vacation. It started with the early morning flight. Too early for breakfast so you load onto the plane and what do they have to serve you? My Southwest flight offered coffee and peanuts. But no fear I had planned ahead and brought some snacks for the flight.  Not sure why but I tend to think that if I'm eating healthy foods then I can eat as much as I like. So I brought along a jumbo sized tub of mixed nuts ( home made recipe below really yummy), carrots and a banana. Unfortunatly I had pretty much emptied the tub of nuts before we landed. I calculate that 1 (one) nut is about 10 calories so you can just image what my tub was.  I've not been gone 5 hours and already I've eaten my allotted calories for the day. Oh dear already I'm off on the wrong foot and now I need to make some adjustments so that I don't return from my 5 day trip 5 pounds heavier.

But first lets begin with my trip. Finally Bucket List # 6.  Visit Niagara Falls (check).
International Line. One half in Canada, one half in USA
One of the first things that struck me, besides the awe-inspiring natural wonder, was how two countries can co-exist and share this huge natural resource. That's pretty awesome in itself. In 1909 The Boundary Waters Treaty was signed to resolve disputes over shared water between Canada and USA. If you are interested in more info click this link Here

Now onto which side has the best falls. We've been told that the Canadian side is the best and has the wonderful viewing etc.  We did stay on the Canadian side and we where happy we did. But to answer which side is better, that's a hard one. They both have their own spectacular beauty.

United States

Canada
The imposing greatness of the Canadian side

The up close and personal USA side.
So the falls are WONDERFUL, everything I hoped they would be. The question still remains 'how do you go on vacation and not gain weight? My solution was to be more active. So I clipped on my pedometer and we walked and walked and walked.

One day we ended up walking 9 miles. That was the day we walked across Rainbow Bridge to the US side and back.



Daily total steps 
Most everything in Niagara Falls is assessable by walking which really helped to neutralize the extra yummies we enjoyed, double short breve latte's with warmed chocolate chip cookies was just one of our afternoon treats. 

To  access other attractions that are not within walking distance they offer a jump on and off shuttle system called WEGO. We chose this activity the day after our 9 miles but we still were able to get in our 10,000 steps.


Our room was on the 14th floor and we climbed the steps 3 times.
Climbing the last flight up to the 14th floor. My husband is way faster then me.
 No Niagara Falls trip is complete without the plastic bag coats. Here's ours.

Lastly the tub of nuts.

Warning: eating a tub of nuts could result in weight gain…?! da

The mixed nut recipe is really easy and it gives you that bit of sweetness that I enjoy so much.
Basically I took an equal amount of pecans, walnuts, cashews and raisins, mixed them all together then I squirted a bit of lemon juice on top, then sprinkled cinnamon on top of that and once again mixed together. It's really good but next time I'll try and divide out into smaller individual portions.
1/4 cup = 160 calories 
Well there you have it, this posting is all about how I got to check one more item off the Bucket List, enjoy some fabulous and fun foods, take in spectacular sights and natural wonders all while getting in at least 10,000 steps each day so that we came back home no heavier then when we left.



Do you have any tips you use to help you stay fit and healthy while vacationing and traveling? I'd love to hear them.

To your health,
Sharon



5 comments:

  1. Great trip. I've been only on the Canadian side of Niagara falls many years ago...
    I love eating nuts too...they can be addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Sami. My only consolation with over eating nuts it at least it's better then candy like Good N Plenty. I love those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Thats a good' article, i usually amazed with' this thing, i asked myself about this opinion, I wish You'll a better articles that can make another people impressive..don't make the article feel rigit and isn't interesting and poor, i like to read this' article and i think this is "good".thank you' m'y brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have only been to the American side of the Falls. i think a lot of it has to do with our camping - we get a lot of exercise while traveling. i wish we camped more. you have to walk every where ... then we take our bikes ... so there is biking. i wish you well on your next one that it will continue. i can sympathize considering all the chances to try new and good foods. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, camping, walking and biking, now those are great ways to stay fit while visiting new places. Thanks for stopping by.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete