Sunday, June 14, 2015

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Oh here, take a better look.
           


 

I just returned from a trip to the Four Corners and this is the flag that the monument had flying on that day. This was not my first trip to the Four Corners, 50 (yes that's fifty) years ago I visited the sight on a family trip. It was much different back then. In fact I don't remember seeing any flags at all, there were no pedestrian traffic control walking paths, and definitely no vendors peddling their wares. Back then you saw beautiful vistas from all 4 states. Like this one.

    But now, this view is obstructed by concrete structures on all
    4 sides that house a variety of vendors.     

    Here's what you see today. 



I do remember standing on the X and thinking how cool it was that I was in 4 states at the same time. 


Here are a few more 'welcoming' photos of the Four Corners Monument 2015 version.






I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't really the $5.00 per person CASH only entry fee, or the concrete structures obstructing the views, after all this is located in a non developed area and you can see the views as you travel the highways. I do expect to pay an entry fee but just didn't realize that it was CASH only. I appreciated the very basic accommodations, I did use the out house but did not purchase fry bread or jewelry.  Generally I'm not so sensitive to things like frayed American Flags but when I put the whole picture together it just seemed a bit disrespectful and since today is Nation Flag Day I thought this would be a good time to unload.

Back in 1942 Congress adopted the US Flag Code. This code outlines proper and respectful ways to handle, care for, fly, and retire a flag. A frayed, discolored or torn flag should be mended or replaced. Since the flag is a symbol of the United States and one that is recognized throughout the world I think flying one that is in stellar condition sends the message of united strength and flying a frayed or torn flag says you just don't give a D---.  my opinion…I'm just saying...

There are always exceptions and here's one of them. 

It's a story about a son who was leaving to serve in Iraq. Before he left he raised a flag at the family home. His Dad said he would not remove it until the son returned back home. After awhile this same flag began to fray and fray. A neighbor became outraged at this. He claims it reminded him of his days fighting for our country during the Vietnam War in which many American flags showed wear and tear. You can read about this here.

So there you have it, my thought of the day. How about you, any thoughts on flying Old Glory? If so I'd love to hear them.

To you healthy,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. I agree. It is our Nations symbol and should be in the best shape possible. It represents all of us and should be in our Sunday best always. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lady Jane, I have to admit this is the first frayed flying flag that I can remember seeing. So I guess the positive is that's a pretty low average considering I've been seeing flags flying for 60 + years. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete